Marc Belanger's favorite photos
WRTH DDWR A THAN
Terracotta at its very best on the exterior of the Grade One listed Pierhead Building in Cardiff, built in 1897 for the Bute Docks Company. The terracotta was supplied by Ruabon based brickmakers JC Edwards & Co. The Bute Docks Company was renamed the Car…
Fiddler's Ferry Power Station burns up to 16,000 tonnes of coal a day and is also capable of co-firing biomass. Opened in 1971, the station has a generating capacity of 1,989 megawatts and is currently operated by Scottish and Southern Energy.
Irish boating dogs
Jefferson and Niamh take a keen interest as the barge rises in a lock on the Shannon Erne Waterway.
Terra Cotta Works
Terracotta panel on the wall of the Hafod brickworks that was built by Henry Dennis who traded as Dennis, Ruabon. There is another panel close by with the date of 1893 and this is probably of a similar date.
Victoria Mill in Miles Platting stands alongside the Rochdale Canal. It was built between 1869 and 1873 to the design of Bolton architect George Woodhouse. The owner was William Holland who moved his business there from Adelphi Mill in Salford. It compris…
The Fakenham Gasworks Museum is a real gem and highly recommended to anyone interested in industrial history. At one time the works employed 8 men and supplied 500 homes.It closed in 1965 but was preserved and made into a museum in 1987. It is the only c…
The design of limekilns in Norfolk is very different from those seen in the north of Britain. The bowl is sunk into the ground with a circular chamber around the draw holes. This chamber has a number of vents to the surface with small square brick chimne…
Slingfield Mill chimney
Slingfield Mill was built in 1864 for Thomas Lea, to the design of architects Lockwood and Mawson of Bradford. It was for many years spinning yarn for the carpet industry and after this ended in 1980 the mill has been converted for Debenhams on the lower…
Bellis & Morcom crude oil engine, one of a pair installed in 1937 at the Hatton pumping station of the Staffordshire Potteries Water Company. The engines drove generators providing power to a number of spindle pumps over the boreholes. The pumping station…