Dave Kennard

Dave Kennard

Posted on 03/24/2011


Photo taken on March  7, 2011



See also...

Leicestershire and Rutland Leicestershire and Rutland


England England



Keywords

England
Old Grammar School
Dave Kennard
Church Square
Market Harborough
East Midlands
Britain
Leicestershire
Dusk
Evening
Europe
Night
UK
St. Dionysius Church


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

111 visits

Old Grammar School and St. Dionysius Church at night, Market Harborough

Old Grammar School and St. Dionysius Church at night, Market Harborough
View as 360° VR panorama

The Old Grammar School and St. Dionysius Church in Market Harborough town centre. Market Harborough is a market town in Leicestershire, England, bordering Northamptonshire to the south.

The Old Grammar School was built was built on stilts, allowing the butter market to be held below the school. The distinctive building was built by Robert Smyth in 1614, and has since become an icon for the town and Harborough district.

The building was used as a school until 1892. It was restored in 1869 when the brick staircase was added to the rear, and pargeting in the plasterwork and false half-timbering were added. The school has bible verses chosen by Robert Smyth painted on the lower beams of the building.

St. Dionysius Church is the parish church of Market Harborough, and was originally built in 1300, with the majority of the current building dating from around 1470. The church spire rises to 47m, with the oldest part of the tower being the west doorway, which dates from around 1300.

The church does not have a graveyard, but rises directly from the street. This is because Market Harborough was originally a township of the nearby village of Great Bowden, where the dependent chapelry of St. Marys of Arden already existed. So burials for Market Harborough would still be carried out at St. Marys of Arden, meaning St. Dionysius Church did not need a graveyard.

Comments