Cold War Warrior

Cold War Warrior

Posted on 08/28/2016


Photo taken on August 16, 2016



See also...


Keywords

Cemetery
Eggbuckland
Taphology
St Edward's
Churchyard
Graveyard
DFC
Distinguished Flying Cross
Pilot Officer Frank Clear
Royal Air Force Volunteer Reserve
RAFVR


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

63 visits

St Edward's, Church Hill, Eggbuckland, Plymouth 16 August 2016

St Edward's, Church Hill, Eggbuckland, Plymouth 16 August 2016
A lucky survivor of Bomber Command, picking up a Distinguished Flying Cross.

7 Squadron was originally formed in 1914, the last RFC squadron to be formed before WW1. At the start of WW2, it amalgamated with 16 Squadron to form 16 Operational Training Unit, but quickle re-formed as 7 Squadron, the first to be issued with the Short Stirling, the RAF's first four engine bomber. It was transferred to the Pathfinder Force in 1942 and carried out these duties until the end of the war. The Japanese surrender stopped their transfer to the Far East. In WW2 they flew 5,060 operational sorties with the loss of 165 aircraft.

Comments