Cold War Warrior

Cold War Warrior

Posted on 03/27/2016


Photo taken on March 25, 2016



See also...


Keywords

1878
Cistercians
1799
Cwmbran
Llantarnam Abbey
Sisters of St Joseph of Annecy
Reginald Blewitt
2008


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

Photo replaced on March 27, 2016
76 visits

South Lodge, Llantarnam Abbey, Newport Road, Cwmbran 25 March 2016

South Lodge, Llantarnam Abbey, Newport Road, Cwmbran 25 March 2016
Commemorative plaque on the south lodge of Llantarnam Abbey. The lodge is dated 1886.

Llantarnam Abbey was founded in 1179 by the Cistercians as a daughter abbey of Strata Florida Abbey. Following the Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1558 it passed into private ownership. It was bought in 1834 by local colliery and ironworks owner Reginald Blewitt who had it remodelled as an Elizabethan mansion. In 1895 it was bought by Sir Clifford Cory, a Cardiff colliery owner and shipping magnate and remained in the family until 1941. In 1946 it was acquired by the Sisters of St Joseph of Annecy, who run it today.

Comments