Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved
Spasskaya Tower, Kremlin, Red Square, Moscow, Russian Federation 22 May 2003
The Spasskaya Tower (Saviour's Tower) was built in 1491 by the Italian Pietro Antonio Solari; originally it was named the Frolovskaya Tower, renamed in 1658. The clock was added some time between 1491 and 1585. Its distinctive chimes, in Russian the kremlovskie kuranti (kremlin chimes) were used to preface news broadcasts during WW2, and to introduce the time signal for Moscow Time. Taken on a "cultural" after return to Moscow from an inspection, prior to flying back to UK the next day.