Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved
- Photo replaced on October 17, 2015
Maxime Cinema, High Street, Blackwood, Caerphilly County Borough 16 October 2015
The Maxime was opened in 1938, designed by William S Wort. It had a capacity of 1400, with a thirty feet wide proscenium; this was later widened to forty five feet for Cinemascope. By 1966 it had become ramshackle with the local name of "The Fleapit". By 1976 it was showing films and used for bingo but in 1988 it became purely a bingo hall. It closed down in 2009 as a Mecca bingo hall. It was purchased for conversion into a five screen cinema, opening as such in 2014 with a licensed bar in the foyer.