See also...

Silver Surfers Silver Surfers



Keywords

Priory
Llanthony
Monmouthshire
Ecclesiastical


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

56 visits

Llanthony Priory, Llanthony, Monmouthshire 14 October 2015

Llanthony Priory, Llanthony, Monmouthshire 14 October 2015
Through the arches can be seen St David's Church, originally the priory infirmary.

The priory developed from a monastic cell established by St David in the 6th Century. In the first decade of the 12th Century a priory had been established and ten years Walter de Lacy founded another cell which, within ten years had become a full Augustine priory with forty monks. Following persistent Welsh attacks, the monks transferred the priory to Gloucestershire to found Llanthony Secunda. Llanthony was rebuilt in the 13th Century but following Owain Glyndwr's rebellion in the early 15th Century, it virtually ceased to function. In 1481 it was merged with Llanthony Secunda, but both were closed down in Henry VIII's Dissolution of the Monasteries after 1538. Llanthony degenerated into a ruin although the infirmary was converted into St David's Church. It passed into private hands and part of the priory was converted into a house (now a pub). Painted by Turner, it is now in the hands of the Knight family but administered by CADW

Roger Dodger has particularly liked this photo


Comments