Cold War Warrior

Cold War Warrior

Posted on 07/19/2015


Photo taken on July 11, 2015


See also...


Keywords

Bottle
Mineral Water
Caley's


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

88 visits

Caley's Mineral Water Bottles

Caley's Mineral Water Bottles
Obverse and reverse of Caley's mineral water crown cork bottles; the reverse shows the Royal Warrant issued by Edward VII.

AJ Caley came to Norwich in 1857 and established a chemist's business. He started bottling mineral water in a cellar and this rapidly took off with a plant being eventually established in Chapel Field in 1880. Since mineral water sales were seasonal, in order to avoid laying off staff in the winter, they branched into cocoa, eventually producing chocolate and confectionery. In 1890 they opened their Fleur de Lys site, and they became a joint stock company. In 1918, they were bought out by The African and Eastern Trade Corporation, who, in 1932, sold the firm on to John Mackintosh & Sons Limited of Halifax. In 1980, now as Rowntree-Mackintosh, they were bought out by Nestle who, within eight years transferred all production to York. The Chapel Field factory was demolished and in 2004, a shopping centre built on the site.

During Edward VII's reign a landfill site was in use at Henlow, Bedfordshire, bringing household rubbish from London by train. Today, part of RAF Henlow is built on the site; bottles have turned up there whenever cable trenches etc. are dug there.

Comments