Cold War Warrior

Cold War Warrior

Posted on 07/11/2015


Photo taken on July 10, 2015



See also...


Keywords

Reservoir
Cwmbran
Upper Cwmbran
Mynydd Maen
Blaen Bran


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

102 visits

Upper Reservoir, Blaen Bran, Mynydd Maen, Upper Cwmbran, Cwmbran 10 July 2015

Upper Reservoir, Blaen Bran, Mynydd Maen, Upper Cwmbran, Cwmbran 10 July 2015
The top end of the upper reservoir, built in 1930 to augment the water supply for Cwmbran. The sluice gates to the right to run off overflow water, the paddle boards long gone. Many people believe because this reservoir was smaller, it preceded the lower reservoir. It eradicated the last traces of Blaen Bran Farm, although some stone field walls can be found in the plantation. It was bulldozed during the 1980s, possibly at the same time the council demolished the Mineslope air shaft and adit below Blaen Bran Reservoir.

Blaen Bran Reservoir was built in 1884 as a direct result of Disraeli's Public Health Act of 1875 and the population explosion in the area following the opening of the Main Adit of Cwmbran Colliery in 1879 and the expansion of steel and tin plate works in Cwmbran. A second, smaller reservoir was built above it in 1930, with a pumping station and filter beds, known locally as "The Water House" (especially when asking for a bus ticket for the Upper Cwmbran terminus) on the site of the former brickworks which closed in 1916. Welsh Water still maintain equipment here despite the associated reservoir being defunct since the opening in 1965 of Llandegvedd Reservoir.

Comments