Cold War Warrior

Cold War Warrior

Posted on 07/11/2015


Photo taken on July 10, 2015



See also...


Keywords

Reservoir
Cwmbran
Upper Cwmbran
Blaen Bran
Mynydd Maen


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

Photo replaced on July 11, 2015
82 visits

Blaen Bran Reservoir, Mynydd Maen, Upper Cwmbran, Cwmbran 10 July 2015

Blaen Bran Reservoir, Mynydd Maen, Upper Cwmbran, Cwmbran 10 July 2015
A run-off cascade which took overflow water from the upper, later reservoir, continuing past the original reservoir,which then channelled the water into the Blaen Bran Brook.

Blaen Bran Reservoir was built in 1884 as a direct result of Disraeli's Public Health Act of 1875 and the population explosion in the area following the opening of the Main Adit of Cwmbran Colliery in 1879 and the expansion of steel and tin plate works in Cwmbran. A second, smaller reservoir, now bulldozed over, was built above it in 1930, with a pumping station and filter beds, known locally as "The Water House" (especially when asking for a bus ticket for the Upper Cwmbran terminus) on the site of the former brickworks which closed in 1916. Welsh Water still maintain equipment here despite the associated reservoir being defunct since the opening in 1965 of Llandegvedd Reservoir.

Comments