Cold War Warrior

Cold War Warrior

Posted on 07/11/2015


Photo taken on July 10, 2015



See also...

Silver Surfers Silver Surfers



Keywords

Reservoir
Mountain
Cwmbran
Upper Cwmbran
Mynydd Maen


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

79 visits

Blaen Bran Reservoir, Mynydd Maen, Upper Cwmbran, Cwmbran 10 July 2015

Blaen Bran Reservoir, Mynydd Maen, Upper Cwmbran, Cwmbran 10 July 2015
A panorama of the Blaen Bran Reservoir. The column and platform were connected to the "shore" by a footbridge. Some time after the early 1980s, it was removed for safety reasons (it made a diving platform for the foolhardy.)

Blaen Bran Reservoir was built in 1884 as a direct result of Disraeli's Public Health Act of 1875 and the population explosion in the area following the opening of the Main Adit of Cwmbran Colliery in 1879 and the expansion of steel and tin plate works in Cwmbran. A second, smaller reservoir was built above it in 1930, with a pumping station and filter beds, known locally as "The Water House" (especially when asking for a bus ticket for the Upper Cwmbran terminus) on the site of the former brickworks which closed in 1916. Welsh Water still maintain equipment here despite the associated reservoir being defunct since the opening in 1965 of Llandegvedd Reservoir.

Comments