Cold War Warrior

Cold War Warrior

Posted on 06/21/2015


Photo taken on May 12, 2015



See also...

Silver Surfers Silver Surfers



Keywords

Forest
Taphology
Churchyard
Guernsey
Channel Islands
Graveyard
Chapel
Sundial
Cemetery
Church
Ste Marguerite


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

87 visits

Ste Marguerite de la Foret, Le Bourg de Haut, Forest, , Forest, Guernsey, Channel Islands 12 May 2015

Ste Marguerite de la Foret, Le Bourg de Haut, Forest, , Forest, Guernsey, Channel Islands 12 May 2015
The Ste Marguerite sundial. This was originally mounted on the south wall of the church, but was removed in 1922 when the south porch was replaced by a vestry. It disappeared, being rediscovered on a house near the Forest School in 2006, and returned to the church. Unlike earlier church "mass sundials" which had a gnomon protruding straight out from the face, the gnomon for this one was at an angle to the dial face parallel to the Earth's rotational axis. This showed equal hours in all seasons unlike the mass sundials. Termed scientific sundials, they were introduced in the 16th Century, and it is believed this one dates from the same period.

Ste Marguerite de la Foret is the smallest parish church on Guernsey. The oldest part of the building dates from the 13th Century and incorporates stones robbed from a dolmen. It was extensively refurbished in 1891. There are two entrances, north and south which were used when the congregation was segregated into men and women, although only the north entrance is now used.

Comments