Cold War Warrior

Cold War Warrior

Posted on 06/20/2015


Photo taken on June 10, 2015



See also...


Keywords

Church
St John The Evangelist
Taphology
Beachley
CWGC
Churchyard
Gloucestershire
Graveyard
WW2
Chapel
Cemetery
Apprentice Tradesman TA Thornton
Royal Army Ordnance Corps
RAOC


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

60 visits

St John The Evangelist, Beachley, Gloucestershire 10 June 2015

St John The Evangelist, Beachley, Gloucestershire 10 June 2015
In November 1940, a lone German bomber dropped a 1000 pound bomb on the Apprentices School, extensively damaging the workshops; it also strafed the school, killing Apprentice Thornton.

St John's and the adjacent school house were built in 1833, chiefly funded by James Jenkins of Beachley Manor. Interred there are almost 100 graves of Italian and German prisoners of war who died in POW camps in Sedbury and the Bulwark area of Chepstow. There are four unmarked German graves in the old churchyard from WW1.

Comments