Cold War Warrior

Cold War Warrior

Posted on 06/19/2015


Photo taken on June 19, 2015



See also...


Keywords

Coal Mining
Cwm
Ebbw Vale
Marine Colliery


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

70 visits

Marine Colliery, Cwm, Ebbw Vale 19 June 2015

Marine Colliery, Cwm, Ebbw Vale 19 June 2015
A set of interlocking concrete conduits, presumably left over from Marine Colliery.

Marine Colliery was sunk in 1889 by the Ebbw Vale Iron & Steel Company. The downcast shaft was 418 yards deep and the up-cast 414 yards. The first coal was brought up 1893. By 1935 the ownership of the colliery changed to Partridge, Jones & John Paton Ltd. who worked the colliery until Nationalisation in 1947. In the 1970s it merged with Six Bells Colliery, all the coal being processed at the Marine. Following a major investment in 1982, the pit closed down in 1989. It was the last deep pit to shut down in the Ebbw Valley.

Comments