Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved
Hathorn Davey & Co Pump Engine A4046, Cwm, Ebbw Vale 19 June 2015
This Hathorn Davey & Co steam pump engine was built in 1893 and installed when the Marine Colliery was sunk between 1889 and 1893. It was installed in a chamber beneath the winding engine on the downcast shaft. Made entirely from cast iron, it shifted 50,000 gallons of water at seven strokes per minute. It cost £4360.00. During site clearance of the mine in the late 1980s, it was rescued and erected on the A4046 roundabout at the southern end of Cwm. It is a scheduled ancient monument due to its status as a rare surviving late 19th Century pumping engine.