Cold War Warrior

Cold War Warrior

Posted on 06/19/2015

Photo taken on June 19, 2015

See also...

benches benches


Coal Mining
Ebbw Vale
Marine Colliery

Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

120 visits

Miners' Memorial, Marine Street, Cwm, Ebbw Vale 19 June 2015

Miners' Memorial, Marine Street, Cwm, Ebbw Vale 19 June 2015
This memorial, dedicated to "the men who worked and died in the Ebbw Fawr Mining Community" has particular resonance for the former Marine Colliery on the land of which it is erected; on St David's Day (1st March), 1927, 53 miners lost their lives in a gas and coal dust explosion. The ten foot high miner and small garden were unveiled in a ceremony in 2009. He looks over the small village of Cwm and the Domen Fawr mountain in the left background.

Marine Colliery was sunk in 1889 by the Ebbw Vale Iron & Steel Company. The downcast shaft was 418 yards deep and the up-cast 414 yards. The first coal was brought up 1893. By 1935 the ownership of the colliery changed to Partridge, Jones & John Paton Ltd. who worked the colliery until Nationalisation in 1947. In the 1970s it merged with Six Bells Colliery, all the coal being processed at the Marine. Following a major investment in 1982, the pit closed down in 1989. It was the last deep pit to shut down in the Ebbw Valley.