Cold War Warrior

Cold War Warrior

Posted on 06/16/2015


Photo taken on June 10, 2015



See also...

Phone Boxes And Post Boxes Phone Boxes And Post Boxes


Gloucestershire Gloucestershire



Keywords

Gloucestershire
Beachley
Army Apprentices School
Army Apprentices College


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

Photo replaced on June 16, 2015
106 visits

Beachley Gate, Beachley Barracks, Beachley, Gloucestershire 10 June 2015

Beachley Gate, Beachley Barracks, Beachley, Gloucestershire 10 June 2015
The ornamental Beachley Gate, still retained from the old college days. Possibly produced by apprentices.

In 1917, the government requisitioned a large parcel of land at Beachley, displacing local residents, to establish National Shipyard No2, one of three yards in the Chepstow area. These were to replace heavy losses caused by the German U Boot campaign. Not a ship was produced at Beachley, and only one ship from another yard. The project was heavily criticised as a waste of money.

The Army Apprentices School was established at Beachley in 1925 to train soldiers for technical trades in specialist corps in the army; it was renamed Army Apprentices College in 1966. In 1994 the college was closed down and the site became an infantry barracks currently housing 1st Battalion, The Rifles.

Comments