Cold War Warrior

Cold War Warrior

Posted on 06/16/2015


Photo taken on June 10, 2015



See also...

Military Graves & Memorials Military Graves & Memorials



Keywords

Church
Apprentice Tradesman MJ Cotter
St John The Evangelist
Taphology
Beachley
Churchyard
Gloucestershire
Graveyard
Chapel
Cemetery
Army Apprentices School


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

60 visits

St John The Evangelist, Beachley, Gloucestershire 10 June 2015

St John The Evangelist, Beachley, Gloucestershire 10 June 2015
The Army Apprentices School was established at Beachley in 1925 to train soldiers for technical trades in specialist corps in the army; it was renamed Army Apprentices College in 1966. In 1994 the college was closed down and the site became an infantry barracks currently housing 1st Battalion The Rifles.

St John's and the adjacent school house were built in 1833, chiefly funded by James Jenkins of Beachley Manor. Interred there are almost 100 graves of Italian and German prisoners of war who died in POW camps in Sedbury and the Bulwark area of Chepstow. There are four unmarked German graves in the old churchyard from WW1.

Comments