Cold War Warrior

Cold War Warrior

Posted on 07/29/2014


Photo taken on July 25, 2014



See also...


Keywords

Church
Captain T Seagrave
Taphology
West Yorkshire Regiment
Much Marcle
St Bartholomew's
Churchyard
Herefordshire
Military
Graveyard
Chapel
Cemetery
Louisa Mary Seagrave


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

84 visits

St Bartholomew's Church, Much Marcle, Herefordshire 25 July 2014

St Bartholomew's Church, Much Marcle, Herefordshire 25 July 2014
The 14th Regiment of Foot (West Yorkshire Regiment) was formed in 1685, one of nine new foot regiments raised to counter the Monmouth Rebellion. In 1782 they were renamed the Bedfordshire Regiment, but in 1802 retitled to the Buckinghamshire Regiment. In 1876 they became The Prince of Wales' Own. Under the reforms of 1880 they became the Prince of Wales' Own Yorkshire Regiment. In 2006 they became part of the new Yorkshire Regiment with the Duke of Wellington's Regiment and The Green Howards.
The church is principally 13th and 14th Century, but a church was sited here, or near here at the time of the Norman Conquest. The tower dates from the 15th Century. It is an extremely grandiose church, especially for the small size of the parish, and has been dubbed a "mini cathedral". It is very well endowed with effigies and other ecclesiastical items.

Comments