Cold War Warrior

Cold War Warrior

Posted on 06/30/2014


Photo taken on June 25, 2014



See also...

Terracotta Architecture Terracotta Architecture



Keywords

Powys
Builth Wells
Wyeside Arts Centre


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

56 visits

Wyeside Arts Centre, Castle Street, Builth Wells 25 June 2014

Wyeside Arts Centre, Castle Street, Builth Wells 25 June 2014
Mozart (or Haydn).
Builth Wells had become a prosperous spa town by the 1870s, but some people felt it lacked a market befitting its new status. Two rival consortia decided to rectify this, resulting in the Strand Hall and what is now the Wyeside Centre, opened in 1877 as a market, assembly rooms and concert hall. Today the concert hall is the cinema, upstairs. Stressing culture, there are three terracotta medallions on the south wall, of Shakespeare, Mozart and Haydn; additionally over the market entrance is the Builth Wells coat of arms, and a harp, the seal of the company formed to build the hall. In 2012, the Wyeside Arts Centre received a grant of £220,000 for a facelift (much of this money came from a fund established for communities affected by local quarrying.

Comments