Sedigitus

Sedigitus

Posted on 02/12/2010


Photo taken on December 23, 1988


See also...


Keywords

1988
Prague
Prag
Czech
Praha
Czechoslovakia
Kodak Safety Film 5063
Lusatian Seminary
Sorbs


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

92 visits

twh-17-22

twh-17-22
Plaque outside the Lusatian Seminar, Prague-Malá strana, Czechoslovakia, 23 December 1988. It reads:
"The Lusatian Seminar was built in 1728 by the Šimon brothers as a dormitory for Catholic students from Upper Lusatia. Numerous Lusatian Sorbian awakeners lived here after completing their studies, including M. Hórnik, J. Bart-Ćišinski, and others.
"Important Czech slavicists, e.g., J. Dobrovský, V. Hanka, F. Doucha, K. J. Erben, and M. Hattala, came here and attended to the linguistic and patriotic education of the seminarians, who were associated in the organization Serbowka from 1846.
"The seminary was dissolved in 1922 by the Bishop of Meissen. From 1945 to 1955 the building served as a dormitory for Lusatian Sorbian students.
"Now a rich collection of Sorabica, the Hórnik Library, is housed here."

Comments