Tim Webb

Tim Webb

Posted on 12/27/2013

Photo taken on July 11, 1982

See also...

Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

207 visits

Ciudad De Inca and Marques

Ciudad De Inca and Marques
Photographed on the 11 July 1982 at Portsmouth moored up together the sailing vessels MARQUES and CIUDAD DE INCA both vessels which would both be tragically lost in the following years, sadly both losses would involve loss of life to the crew.
MARQUES was lost in 1984 in the Bermuda- Nova Scotia leg of a series of Tall Ships races and CIUDAD DE INCA was lost after hitting rocks in 1995.
The MARQUES was one of 42 entered in the Bermuda- Nova Scotia leg of a series of Tall Ships races, sank in stormy seas early Sunday morning 80 miles north of Bermuda. Of the 28 people aboard, including 13 Americans, nine were rescued. One body was recovered and 18 other people were missing, among them the American captain, Stuart A. Finlay, his wife, Aloma, and 15-month-old son, Christopher.

For full report see

The 1858 built CIUDAD DE INCA was lost in 1995 on a voyage to Padstow. She had been launched as MARIA ASUMPTA and was involved in the textile trade between Argentina and Spain; later she was used to transport slaves and salt. In the 1930s an engine was installed, and she was renamed PEPITA. By 1978, she was operating without masts in the Mediterranean. In 1980, her owners wanted to sell her engines and burn the ship. Mark Litchfield and Robin Cecil Wright, who had founded the China Clipper Society, bought the CIUDAD DE INCA for the value of her engines. Over the next 18 months, the ship was restored, and became a sail training ship in 1982. In 1988 she was renamed MARIA ASUMPTA, and ceased to be registered as a sail training ship. Her status now was a private yacht. She was by then the oldest surviving sailing ship. The MARIA ASUMPTA was on her first voyage after a refit at Gloucester. On the afternoon of 30 May 1995 she was preparing to enter Padstow harbour. The engines suddenly stopped; two men were sent to attend to the engine whilst the rest of the crew of fourteen raised more sail. Although lookouts had been posted at the bow, they failed to spot submerged rocks and about five minutes after the engines stopped, the MARIA ASUMPTA struck rocks at Rump Point. The crew abandoned ship, and many of them jumped onto the rocks, but three crew were drowned.

For a survivors report see