Advocate Harbour Lighthouse, 1911

CANADA: Nova Scotia -- Bay of Fundy

Among Michel Forand's albums  >  Lighthouses / Phares



  • Cape Sharp Lighthouse, ca. 1965

    The first Cape Sharp Lighthouse was built in 1886 on a cape situated about 6 km southwest of Parrsboro, on the north side of the entrance to Minas Basin. The lighthouse consisted of a square pyramidal tower attached to a two-storey dwelling. The building…

  • Church Point Lighthouse, ca. 1910

    The lighthouse at Church Point in St. Mary's Bay was built in 1874, while the dwelling seen above was built in 1876 and the second floor completed in 1884. Although the postcard shown here was mailed in the 1920s (1926?), the photo is clearly much older,…

  • Church Point Lighthouse, ca. 1955

    The lighthouse at Church Point in St. Mary's Bay was built in 1874. The dwelling shown on the older postcard was demolished around 1953. The light was discontinued in 1984 and the neglected lighthouse was destroyed by a storm in 2014.


  • Digby Pier Lighthouse, ca. 1905

    The lighthouse on the Digby ferry pier was built in 1903. It is seen here on a postcard written in 1913.

  • "Dykelands" Lighthouse, ca. 1910

    The name and location of the lighthouse on this undated postcard are unknown. The writer says that "this card has a picture of Dykelands" and indicates that it is somewhere north of St. Mary's Bay, which suggests it is in the Digby-Annapolis area.

  • Gilbert Point Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    The Gilbert Point Lighthouse was established in 1904 on a prominent point near the village of Gilbert's Cove on the east side of St. Mary's Bay. This was an "integral" lighthouse in the sense that the keeper and his family lived in the building housing t…


  • Grand Passage Lighthouse, ca. 1905

    Although the Grand Passage Lighthouse, built in 1901, was described as a white tower, the publisher of this postcard decided to make it a red building. The lighthouse was located at the northern tip of Brier Island, about 2.5 km from the village of Westpo…

  • Hall's Harbour Light, ca. 1920

    The first lighthouse at Hall's Harbour was established in 1881, but the unusual structure seen here was built in 1911. Postcard written in 1923.

  • Hall's Harbour Light, ca. 1925

    The second lighthouse at Hall's Harbour was built in 1911. It no longer exists.


  • Hall's Harbour Light, ca. 1975

    This skeletal tower replaced the square tower in piles at Hall's Harbour in 1970. Self-made postcard created by "J. Neville Halls Harbour, N.S."

  • Hampton Lighthouse, ca. 1920

    The Hampton Lighthouse was built in 1911.

  • Harbourville Lighthouse, ca. 1920

    Harbourville is a small fishing community on the Bay of Fundy, about halfway between Morden and Black Rock. By the time its small lighthouse was established in 1913, Harbourville had also become a tourist destination. The lighthouse remained active for l…


  • Harbourville Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    Harbourville is a small fishing community on the Bay of Fundy, about halfway between Morden and Black Rock. By the time its lighthouse was established in 1913, Harbourville had also become a tourist destination. In 1930, the light was shown from a mast at…

  • Horton Lighthouse, ca. 1900

    The first Horton Lighthouse (also known as Horton Bluff) was built in 1851, on the west side of the Avon River in Minas Basin, about 5 km norfthwest of Hantsport. The postcard shows the second lighthouse, built in 1883 after its predecessor burned down.…

  • Horton Lighthouse, ca. 1960

    The first Horton Lighthouse (also known as Horton Bluff) was built in 1851 on the west side of the Avon River in Minas Basin, about 1 km east of Avonport. The postcard shows the second lighthouse, built in 1883 after its predecessor burned down, shortly b…


  • Horton Range Front Lighthouse, ca. 1965

    The third lighthouse was built in 1961 as the front light of the Horton Range. The broad (red) stripe shown on two sides of the tower served to make it more visible: it seems the rear tower did not have a matching stripe. The range was discontinued in 201…

  • Horton Range Rear Light, ca. 1965

    The Horton Rear Light was built in 1961 when the range was established. The diamond-shaped panel near the top of the tower was yellow. The tower has since been replaced by a different structure, but the range was discontinued in 2013.

  • Isle Haute Lighthouse, ca. 1955

    Isle Haute (sometimes spelled Île Haute) is located about 7 km south-southwest of Cape Chignecto in the entrance to Minas Basin. It was named by the French explorer Samuel de Champlain in 1604. Its first lighthouse, seen here, was established in 1878. T…


70 items in total