Advocate Harbour Lighthouse, 1911

CANADA: Nova Scotia -- Bay of Fundy

Among Michel Forand's albums  >  Lighthouses / Phares



  • Joggins Lighthouse, ca. 1940

    The town of Joggins, on the eastern side of the entrance to the Cumberland Basin at the northeastern end of the Bay of Fundy, became the centre of coal-producing activity in the late 19th century and early 20th century. The little Joggins Lighthouse, see…

  • Kingsport Lighthouse, ca. 1900

    Kingsport, located on the north side of the Canning River (known today as the Habitant River), in Minas Basin, had an active shipbuilding industry in the 19th century. It later became an important shipping point, with the Oak Point Wharf eventually reachi…

  • Margaretsville Lighthouse, ca. 1900

    The Margaretsville Lighthouse dates back to 1859, when the town was an active transportation link between New Brunswick (by boat) and the rest of Nova Scotia (by rail). Note: Even today, the name is often written without the "s" (=Margaretville), but th…


  • Margaretsville Lighthouse, ca. 1940

    The Margaretsville Lighthouse was built in 1859: a white, square, pyramidal tower with a black band. The lantern seen here is different from the original lantern (see the ca. 1900 postcard view).

  • Margaretsville Lighthouse, ca. 1955

    The Margaretsville Lighthouse was built in 1859: a white, square, pyramidal tower with a black band. The lantern seen here is different from the original lantern (see the ca. 1900 postcard view).

  • Meteghan Lighthouse, ca. 1960

    Meteghan is a small fishing and shipbuilding community on the east side of St. Mary's Bay. The first light structure in the area was built at Meteghan River in 1875, about 2 km north of the village of Meteghan, and also a shipbuilding community. It was d…


  • Meteghan Lighthouse, ca. 1960

    Meteghan is a small fishing and shipbuilding community on the east side of St. Mary's Bay. The first light beacon in the area was built at Meteghan River in 1875, about 2 km north of the village of Meteghan. It was described in 1878 as a "beacon for guid…

  • Parker Cove Lighthouse, ca. 1900

    Parker Cove (also written Parker's Cove or Parkers Cove) is a small community located on the Bay of Fundy, approximately 5 km due north of the town of Annapolis Royal. Fishing was and remains one of its main activities. Little is known about its lightho…

  • Parrsboro Lighthouse, ca. 1905

    Parrsboro is a town located on the north shore of Minas Basin. It became an active shipbuilding and shipping centre in the second half of the 19th century, and its first lighthouse, shown above, was established in 1852. Nearly a century later, around 1945…


  • Parrsboro Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    Although the tower of Parrsboro's first lighthouse collapsed around 1945, the keeper's house remained standing, as seen on this photo postcard. After being shown from a post, the light was eventually transferred to the metal tower seen behind the house.…

  • Point Prim Lighthouse, ca. 1925

    The first Point Prim lighthouse, built in 1804, burned down four years later, and the second lighthouse was not built until 1817. This lighthouse, too, was destroyed by fire in 1873. The third lighthouse, seen above, was built in 1874. On this photo postc…

  • Point Prim Lighthouse, ca. 1930

    The photo postcard shows the third Point Prim Lighthouse, built in 1874. The small building on the left housed the fog horn. This was an "integral" lighthouse, combining the light tower and living quarters in the same building, which was painted in white.…


  • Point Prim Lighthouse, ca. 1940

    This postcard shows the third Point Prim Lighthouse, built in 1874. To the right of the building is an addition that was built to expand the living quarters at the lighthouse. The red and white pattern of the somewhat unconventional daymark is very visibl…

  • Point Prim Fog Horn Building, ca. 1900

    This was the first fog signal building, built in 1871. The Department of Marine's 1915 list of lights provides the following description: "White, square, wood.... Near edge of cliff, 225 feet north-eastwardly from lighthouse tower." The apparatus was a di…

  • Portapique Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    The Portapique (aka Portaupique) Lighthouse was established in 1913 on the beach near the government wharf, on the east side of the entrance to the Portapique River on Cobequid Bay. (Portapique is derived from the French word for porcupine, "porc-épic.")…


  • Port George Lighthouse, ca. 1900

    The lighthouse was established in 1889 in the small community of Port George, about halfway between St. Mary's Bay and Cape Blomidon. This early view shows the lighthouse in its original location on the East Pier. The light was projected through a window…

  • Port George Lighthouse, ca. 1925

    By the time the photo for this postcard was taken, the Port George Lighthouse had acquired a standard gallery and lantern.

  • Port George Lighthouse, 1931

    Photo of the Port George Lighthouse taken on March 5, 1931. The lighthouse was moved to safer ground that year as it was clearly endangered on the collapsing East Pier.


70 items in total