Advocate Harbour Lighthouse, 1911

CANADA: Nova Scotia -- Bay of Fundy

Among Michel Forand's albums  >  Lighthouses / Phares



  • Port Lorne Lighthouse, ca. 1920

    This small community, located between Hampton and Port George on the Bay of Fundy, was originally known as Marshall's Cove, then Port Williams, and then finally renamed Port Lorne in 1879. The light was established in 1859 under the name "Marshall Cove o…

  • Port Lorne Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    The Port Lorne Lighthouse was first established in 1859 but the tower seen above was probably built sometime between 1910 and 1915. Unfortunately, it no longer exists.

  • Port Maitland Lighthouse, ca. 1900

    Port Maitland is a small community about 11 km north of Yarmouth. A light is said to have been erected in the harbour in 1884, but details are unknown. The lighthouse was built on the outer end of the west breakwater in 1897.


  • Port Maitland Lighthouse, 1908

    Port Maitland is a small community about 11 km north of Yarmouth. This postcard, probably based on a private photo, shows the harbour on a day of festivity, with the 1897 lighthouse in the background. Postcard written in 1908.

  • Port Maitland Lighthouse, ca. 1935

    Port Maitland is a small community about 11 km north of Yarmouth. Its lighthouse was built in 1897 on the town's breakwater.

  • Salter Head Light, 1907

    Salter Head is a headland west of the Shubenacadie River on the south side of Cobequid Bay, about 12 km west of Truro. This privately produced postcard shows "cousin Caleb Smith," posing in front of the Salter Head Light, established in 1888. The postcar…


  • Schafner Point Lighthouse, ca. 1955

    In the 19th and early 20th centuries, there were several lighthouses in the navigable waterway consisting of the lower Annapolis River and the Annapolis Basin: from Troop Point, near Granville Ferry, to Annapolis Royal, Shafner Point (as it was spelled at…

  • Sissiboo Lighthouse, ca. 1930

    The Sissiboo Lighthouse, established in 1870, was on the south side of the entrance to the Sissiboo River, near Weymouth, south of Digby. The lighthouse was 33 feet tall from base to vane, according to the 1902 List of Lights of the Department of Marine a…

  • Sissiboo Lighthouse, ca. 1978

    The first Sissiboo Lighthouse, established in 1870 on the south side of the entrance to the Sissiboo River, near Weymouth, south of Digby, was destroyed by a storm in 1976. It was replaced by the tower seen here. That tower was removed in 2004.


  • Spencer's Island Lighthouse, ca. 1909

    The Spencer's Island Lighthouse, established in 1904, is not on the island of that name but on the north shore of Minas Channel. The island is about 2 km southeast of the lighthouse. Postcard written in 1909. The "stains" on the left appear to be emulsio…

  • Troop Point Lighthouse, ca. 1910

    The Troop Point Lighthouse, established in 1906, was 32 feet tall from base to vane, and its light shone from a height of 46 feet above high water. The lighthouse was still listed in 1957 but had disappeared from the record by 1980. This was the eastern…

  • Victoria Beach Lighthouse, ca. 1905

    The Victoria Beach Lighthouse was established in 1901 on the eastern side of Digby Gut, the narrow channel between Annapolis Bay and the Bay of Fundy. According to the 1902 List of Lights published by the Department of Marine and Fisheries, the light was…


  • Victoria Beach Lighthouse, ca. 1905

    The Victoria Beach Lighthouse was established in 1901 on the eastern side of Digby Gut.

  • Victoria Beach Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    The Victoria Beach Lighthouse was established in 1901 on the eastern side of Digby Gut.

  • Victoria Beach Lighthouse, ca. 1960

    The little lighthouse, overlooking the Victoria Beach harbour, was established in 1901 on the eastern side of Digby Gut.


  • Wolfville Lighthouse, ca. 1905

    Wolfville, located on the Cornwallis River in the southwest corner of Minas Basin, once had a busy harbour, with ferries carrying passengers and vehicles to and from Parrsboro and Kingsport. The lighthouse was built on the government wharf on the west sid…

70 items in total