Advocate Harbour Lighthouse, 1911

CANADA: Nova Scotia -- Bay of Fundy

Among Michel Forand's albums  >  Lighthouses / Phares



  • Advocate Harbour Lighthouse, 1911

    Advocate Harbour is a small community in the northeastern Bay of Fundy, about 8 km east of Cape Chignecto. Its light was established in 1884 on the north side of the harbour entrance but four years later was moved to the south side. The lighthouse, with…

  • Annapolis Lighthouse, ca. 1900

    Annapolis Royal is a town on the Annapolis River, an extension of Annapolis Bay. Its lighthouse was built in 1889 near the town's government pier. The 1902 List of Lights noted that the lighthouse was 28 feet tall. That is still the height listed today.…

  • Annapolis Royal Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    Annapolis Royal is a town on the Annapolis River, an extension of Annapolis Bay. Its lighthouse was built in 1889 near the town's government pier. It still stands on the town's waterfront.


  • Bass River Lighthouse, ca. 1955

    The Bass River Lighthouse, located on the nortth shore of Cobequid Bay, the inner part of Minas Basin, was built in 1907. The tower's listed height in 1915 was 32 feet, with the light shining from a height of 39 feet above high water. The lighthouse was…

  • Bear River Lighthouse, ca. 1908

    Bear River flows into the south shore of the Annapolis Basin, about 4 or 5 km east of Digby. The lighthouse was built in 1905 on Winchester Point, on the west side of the entrance to the river. In 1915, the height of the tower was said to be 32 feet, with…

  • Belliveau's Cove Lighthouse, ca. 1960

    The Belliveau's Cove Lighthouse was built in 1889 at the end of the north wharf in Belliveau's Cove, a shipbuilding community located on the east side of St. Mary's Bay, about 2.5 km south of the Sissiboo River. In 1915, the tower was said to be 22 feet t…


  • Black Rock Lighthouse, ca. 1905

    The original Black Rock Lighthouse was established in 1848, northeast of Harbourville on the south side of the Minas Channel. This ca. 1905 photo (on a postcard mailed that year) shows an unusual polygonal lantern room.

  • Boar's Head Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    Boar's Head is located at the northwest end of Long Island, marking the entrance to the Petit Passage between the island and Digby Neck. The postcard shows a distant view of the original Boar's Head Lighthouse, built in 1863. This was an "integral" light…

  • Boar's Head Lighthouse, ca. 1960

    Boar's Head is located at the northwest end of Long Island, marking the entrance to the Petit Passage between the island and Digby Neck. The second Boar's Head Lighthouse, built in 1957, is shown on the postcard above. A gallery has been added below the…


  • Brier Island Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    Brier Island is separated from Long Island by the Grand Passage, one of two channels linking St. Mary's Bay to the Bay of Fundy. The Brier Island Light Station, established in 1809, is one of the oldest in Canada. It is situated on the southwest side of…

  • Brier Island Lighthouse, ca. 1965

    Brier Island is separated from Long Island by the Grand Passage, the channel linking St. Mary's Bay to the Bay of Fundy. The Brier Island Light Station is one of the oldest in Canada, having been established in 1809. However, the lighthouse seen here is…

  • Cape d'Or Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    Cap d'Or (Cape of Gold) is the name given by Samuel de Champlain in 1607 to a promontory that advances boldly towards the area where the Minas Channel leads into the Bay of Fundy. The name has survived as Cape d'Or, a combination of French and English.…


  • Cape d'Or Lighthouse, ca. 1970

    Cap d'Or (Cape of Gold) is the name given by Samuel de Champlain in 1607 to a promontory that advances boldly towards the area where the Minas Channel leads into the Bay of Fundy. The name has survived as Cape d'Or, a combination of French and English.…

  • Cape d'Or Lighthouse, ca. 1975

    Cap d'Or (Cape of Gold) is the name given by Samuel de Champlain in 1607 to a promontory that advances boldly towards the area where the Minas Channel leads into the Bay of Fundy. The name has survived as Cape d'Or, a combination of French and English.…

  • Cape St. Mary Lighthouse, ca. 1910

    Cape St. Mary is located about halfway between Meteghan and Port Maitland, marking the east side of the entrance to St. Mary's Bay. The above photo postcard, showing the first lighthouse and other buildings on the station, was made by the writer ("Annie"…


  • Cape St. Mary Lighthouse, ca. 1955

    Cape St. Mary is located about halfway between Meteghan and Port Maitland, marking the east side of the entrance to St. Mary's Bay. The first Cape St. Mary Lighthouse, shown here, was built in 1868. The wooden octagonal tower was demolished in 1969.

  • Cape St. Mary Lighthouse, 1962

    The first Cape St. Mary Lighthouse was built in 1868. This close-up photo of the lighthouse is marked "1962" by hand on the back.

  • Cape St. Mary Breakwater Light, ca. 1950

    The small light on the breakwater at Cape St. Mary was established in 1916. It was described in the Canadian Department of Transport's 1957 list of lights as "White mast with white shed at base," matching what one sees on this postcard, written in 1953.


70 items in total