This album includes a combination of old postcards and modern photos (taken in 1999 and 2013).
For postcards, all "Photo taken" dates are tentative.
In the case of modern photos, the dates shown are those when the pictures were taken.
Cape Tryon Lighthouse, 1940s
The interest of this image lies in the fact that it shows the first Cape Tryon Lighthouse in its original location above the cliff, when it was still an active navigational aid.
Summerside Range Front Light, ca. 1910
The Summerside Range was established in 1895, but there had been a light in the port area since 1854. That first light was described in 1861 as "A lantern, on Green's Wharf."* The postcard (written in 1915?) shows the 1895 lighthouse as well as the wagons of the Prince Edward Island Railway discharging their passengers on the ferry pier in Summerside. The S.S. Empress ran the ferry service between Summerside and Pointe du Chêne, near Shediac, New Brunswick, from 1906 to 1916. *Alexander Findlay, "A Desc…
Summerside Range Front Light, 1927
The Summerside Range was established in 1895, but a new lighthouse was built in 1913 to replace the 1895 front tower. This private photo taken in 1927 shows a fading image of the 1913 front light. After decommissioning, the tower was moved to a private property on McCallum's Point, across the Summerside harbour.