Great Britain: Mucking Flats Lighthouse

Miscellaneous Lighthouses

Among Michel Forand's albums  >  Lighthouses / Phares



Great Britain: Mucking Flats Lighthouse

Built in 1851 on a foundation of seven piles, on the north side of the Thames estuary near Stanford-le-Hope. A temporary light had been erected here in 1849. As seen on this postcard, the lighthouse was linked to the shore by an elevated walkway, which allowed the keepers to live on land with their families. The lighthouse was raised from 66 feet to 70 feet in 1881. It was damaged by flooding of the Thames in 1953 and dismantled in 1954 after a barge (the Anglia) collided with it.