Michel Forand's photos


  • Cape St. Mary Lighthouse, 1962

    The first Cape St. Mary Lighthouse was built in 1868. This close-up photo of the lighthouse is marked "1962" by hand on the back.

  • Cape St. Mary Lighthouse, ca. 1955

    Cape St. Mary is located about halfway between Meteghan and Port Maitland, marking the east side of the entrance to St. Mary's Bay. The first Cape St. Mary Lighthouse, shown here, was built in 1868. The wooden octagonal tower was demolished in 1969.

  • Cape St. Mary Breakwater Light, ca. 1950

    The small light on the breakwater at Cape St. Mary was established in 1916. It was described in the Canadian Department of Transport's 1957 list of lights as "White mast with white shed at base," matching what one sees on this postcard, written in 1953.


  • Grand Passage Lighthouse, ca. 1905

    Although the Grand Passage Lighthouse, built in 1901, was described as a white tower, the publisher of this postcard decided to make it a red building. The lighthouse was located at the northern tip of Brier Island, about 2.5 km from the village of Westpo…

  • Digby Pier Lighthouse, ca. 1905

    The lighthouse on the Digby ferry pier was built in 1903. It is seen here on a postcard written in 1913.

  • Church Point Lighthouse, ca. 1955

    The lighthouse at Church Point in St. Mary's Bay was built in 1874. The dwelling shown on the older postcard was demolished around 1953. The light was discontinued in 1984 and the neglected lighthouse was destroyed by a storm in 2014.


  • Church Point Lighthouse, ca. 1910

    The lighthouse at Church Point in St. Mary's Bay was built in 1874, while the dwelling seen above was built in 1876 and the second floor completed in 1884. Although the postcard shown here was mailed in the 1920s (1926?), the photo is clearly much older,…

  • Hall's Harbour Light, ca. 1925

    The second lighthouse at Hall's Harbour was built in 1911. It no longer exists.

  • Hall's Harbour Light, ca. 1920

    The first lighthouse at Hall's Harbour was established in 1881, but the unusual structure seen here was built in 1911. Postcard written in 1923.


  • Hall's Harbour Light, ca. 1975

    This skeletal tower replaced the square tower in piles at Hall's Harbour in 1970. Self-made postcard created by "J. Neville Halls Harbour, N.S."

  • Brier Island Lighthouse, ca. 1965

    Brier Island is separated from Long Island by the Grand Passage, the channel linking St. Mary's Bay to the Bay of Fundy. The Brier Island Light Station is one of the oldest in Canada, having been established in 1809. However, the lighthouse seen here is…

  • Boar's Head Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    Boar's Head is located at the northwest end of Long Island, marking the entrance to the Petit Passage between the island and Digby Neck. The postcard shows a distant view of the original Boar's Head Lighthouse, built in 1863. This was an "integral" light…


  • Belliveau's Cove Lighthouse, ca. 1960

    The Belliveau's Cove Lighthouse was built in 1889 at the end of the north wharf in Belliveau's Cove, a shipbuilding community located on the east side of St. Mary's Bay, about 2.5 km south of the Sissiboo River. In 1915, the tower was said to be 22 feet t…

  • Bass River Lighthouse, ca. 1955

    The Bass River Lighthouse, located on the nortth shore of Cobequid Bay, the inner part of Minas Basin, was built in 1907. The tower's listed height in 1915 was 32 feet, with the light shining from a height of 39 feet above high water. The lighthouse was…

  • Boar's Head Lighthouse, ca. 1960

    Boar's Head is located at the northwest end of Long Island, marking the entrance to the Petit Passage between the island and Digby Neck. The second Boar's Head Lighthouse, built in 1957, is shown on the postcard above. A gallery has been added below the…


  • Annapolis Lighthouse, ca. 1900

    Annapolis Royal is a town on the Annapolis River, an extension of Annapolis Bay. Its lighthouse was built in 1889 near the town's government pier. The 1902 List of Lights noted that the lighthouse was 28 feet tall. That is still the height listed today.…

  • Annapolis Royal Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    Annapolis Royal is a town on the Annapolis River, an extension of Annapolis Bay. Its lighthouse was built in 1889 near the town's government pier. It still stands on the town's waterfront.

  • Bear River Lighthouse, ca. 1908

    Bear River flows into the south shore of the Annapolis Basin, about 4 or 5 km east of Digby. The lighthouse was built in 1905 on Winchester Point, on the west side of the entrance to the river. In 1915, the height of the tower was said to be 32 feet, with…


76 items in total