Michel Forand's photos


  • Margaretsville Lighthouse, ca. 1900

    The Margaretsville Lighthouse dates back to 1859, when the town was an active transportation link between New Brunswick (by boat) and the rest of Nova Scotia (by rail). Note: Even today, the name is often written without the "s" (=Margaretville), but th…

  • Parker Cove Lighthouse, ca. 1900

    Parker Cove (also written Parker's Cove or Parkers Cove) is a small community located on the Bay of Fundy, approximately 5 km due north of the town of Annapolis Royal. Fishing was and remains one of its main activities. Little is known about its lightho…

  • Parrsboro Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    Although the tower of Parrsboro's first lighthouse collapsed around 1945, the keeper's house remained standing, as seen on this photo postcard. After being shown from a post, the light was eventually transferred to the metal tower seen behind the house.…


  • Parrsboro Lighthouse, ca. 1905

    Parrsboro is a town located on the north shore of Minas Basin. It became an active shipbuilding and shipping centre in the second half of the 19th century, and its first lighthouse, shown above, was established in 1852. Nearly a century later, around 1945…

  • Gilbert Point Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    The Gilbert Point Lighthouse was established in 1904 on a prominent point near the village of Gilbert's Cove on the east side of St. Mary's Bay. This was an "integral" lighthouse in the sense that the keeper and his family lived in the building housing t…

  • Cape Sharp Lighthouse, ca. 1965

    The first Cape Sharp Lighthouse was built in 1886 on a cape situated about 6 km southwest of Parrsboro, on the north side of the entrance to Minas Basin. The lighthouse consisted of a square pyramidal tower attached to a two-storey dwelling. The building…


  • Brier Island Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    Brier Island is separated from Long Island by the Grand Passage, one of two channels linking St. Mary's Bay to the Bay of Fundy. The Brier Island Light Station, established in 1809, is one of the oldest in Canada. It is situated on the southwest side of…

  • Harbourville Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    Harbourville is a small fishing community on the Bay of Fundy, about halfway between Morden and Black Rock. By the time its lighthouse was established in 1913, Harbourville had also become a tourist destination. In 1930, the light was shown from a mast at…

  • Isle Haute Lighthouse, ca. 1955

    Isle Haute (sometimes spelled Île Haute) is located about 7 km south-southwest of Cape Chignecto in the entrance to Minas Basin. It was named by the French explorer Samuel de Champlain in 1604. Its first lighthouse, seen here, was established in 1878. T…


  • Horton Lighthouse, ca. 1960

    The first Horton Lighthouse (also known as Horton Bluff) was built in 1851 on the west side of the Avon River in Minas Basin, about 1 km east of Avonport. The postcard shows the second lighthouse, built in 1883 after its predecessor burned down, shortly b…

  • Horton Range Rear Light, ca. 1965

    The Horton Rear Light was built in 1961 when the range was established. The diamond-shaped panel near the top of the tower was yellow. The tower has since been replaced by a different structure, but the range was discontinued in 2013.

  • Horton Range Front Lighthouse, ca. 1965

    The third lighthouse was built in 1961 as the front light of the Horton Range. The broad (red) stripe shown on two sides of the tower served to make it more visible: it seems the rear tower did not have a matching stripe. The range was discontinued in 201…


  • Hampton Lighthouse, ca. 1920

    The Hampton Lighthouse was built in 1911.

  • Harbourville Lighthouse, ca. 1920

    Harbourville is a small fishing community on the Bay of Fundy, about halfway between Morden and Black Rock. By the time its small lighthouse was established in 1913, Harbourville had also become a tourist destination. The lighthouse remained active for l…

  • Horton Lighthouse, ca. 1900

    The first Horton Lighthouse (also known as Horton Bluff) was built in 1851, on the west side of the Avon River in Minas Basin, about 5 km norfthwest of Hantsport. The postcard shows the second lighthouse, built in 1883 after its predecessor burned down.…


  • Joggins Lighthouse, ca. 1940

    The town of Joggins, on the eastern side of the entrance to the Cumberland Basin at the northeastern end of the Bay of Fundy, became the centre of coal-producing activity in the late 19th century and early 20th century. The little Joggins Lighthouse, see…

  • "Dykelands" Lighthouse, ca. 1910

    The name and location of the lighthouse on this undated postcard are unknown. The writer says that "this card has a picture of Dykelands" and indicates that it is somewhere north of St. Mary's Bay, which suggests it is in the Digby-Annapolis area.

  • Cape St. Mary Lighthouse, ca. 1910

    Cape St. Mary is located about halfway between Meteghan and Port Maitland, marking the east side of the entrance to St. Mary's Bay. The above photo postcard, showing the first lighthouse and other buildings on the station, was made by the writer ("Annie"…


76 items in total