Michel Forand's photos


  • Port Maitland Lighthouse, ca. 1935

    Port Maitland is a small community about 11 km north of Yarmouth. Its lighthouse was built in 1897 on the town's breakwater.

  • Port Maitland Lighthouse, 1908

    Port Maitland is a small community about 11 km north of Yarmouth. This postcard, probably based on a private photo, shows the harbour on a day of festivity, with the 1897 lighthouse in the background. Postcard written in 1908.

  • Port Lorne Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    The Port Lorne Lighthouse was first established in 1859 but the tower seen above was probably built sometime between 1910 and 1915. Unfortunately, it no longer exists.


  • Port Lorne Lighthouse, ca. 1920

    This small community, located between Hampton and Port George on the Bay of Fundy, was originally known as Marshall's Cove, then Port Williams, and then finally renamed Port Lorne in 1879. The light was established in 1859 under the name "Marshall Cove o…

  • Portapique Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    The Portapique (aka Portaupique) Lighthouse was established in 1913 on the beach near the government wharf, on the east side of the entrance to the Portapique River on Cobequid Bay. (Portapique is derived from the French word for porcupine, "porc-épic.")…

  • Port Maitland Lighthouse, ca. 1900

    Port Maitland is a small community about 11 km north of Yarmouth. A light is said to have been erected in the harbour in 1884, but details are unknown. The lighthouse was built on the outer end of the west breakwater in 1897.


  • Port George Lighthouse, ca. 1925

    By the time the photo for this postcard was taken, the Port George Lighthouse had acquired a standard gallery and lantern.

  • Port George Lighthouse, ca. 1900

    The lighthouse was established in 1889 in the small community of Port George, about halfway between St. Mary's Bay and Cape Blomidon. This early view shows the lighthouse in its original location on the East Pier. The light was projected through a window…

  • Port George Lighthouse, 1931

    Photo of the Port George Lighthouse taken on March 5, 1931. The lighthouse was moved to safer ground that year as it was clearly endangered on the collapsing East Pier.


  • Kingsport Lighthouse, ca. 1900

    Kingsport, located on the north side of the Canning River (known today as the Habitant River), in Minas Basin, had an active shipbuilding industry in the 19th century. It later became an important shipping point, with the Oak Point Wharf eventually reachi…

  • Margaretsville Lighthouse, ca. 1955

    The Margaretsville Lighthouse was built in 1859: a white, square, pyramidal tower with a black band. The lantern seen here is different from the original lantern (see the ca. 1900 postcard view).

  • Point Prim Lighthouse, ca. 1930

    The photo postcard shows the third Point Prim Lighthouse, built in 1874. The small building on the left housed the fog horn. This was an "integral" lighthouse, combining the light tower and living quarters in the same building, which was painted in white.…


  • Margaretsville Lighthouse, ca. 1940

    The Margaretsville Lighthouse was built in 1859: a white, square, pyramidal tower with a black band. The lantern seen here is different from the original lantern (see the ca. 1900 postcard view).

  • Meteghan Lighthouse, ca. 1960

    Meteghan is a small fishing and shipbuilding community on the east side of St. Mary's Bay. The first light beacon in the area was built at Meteghan River in 1875, about 2 km north of the village of Meteghan. It was described in 1878 as a "beacon for guid…

  • Meteghan Lighthouse, ca. 1960

    Meteghan is a small fishing and shipbuilding community on the east side of St. Mary's Bay. The first light structure in the area was built at Meteghan River in 1875, about 2 km north of the village of Meteghan, and also a shipbuilding community. It was d…


  • Point Prim Fog Horn Building, ca. 1900

    This was the first fog signal building, built in 1871. The Department of Marine's 1915 list of lights provides the following description: "White, square, wood.... Near edge of cliff, 225 feet north-eastwardly from lighthouse tower." The apparatus was a di…

  • Point Prim Lighthouse, ca. 1925

    The first Point Prim lighthouse, built in 1804, burned down four years later, and the second lighthouse was not built until 1817. This lighthouse, too, was destroyed by fire in 1873. The third lighthouse, seen above, was built in 1874. On this photo postc…

  • Point Prim Lighthouse, ca. 1940

    This postcard shows the third Point Prim Lighthouse, built in 1874. To the right of the building is an addition that was built to expand the living quarters at the lighthouse. The red and white pattern of the somewhat unconventional daymark is very visibl…


76 items in total