Michel Forand

Michel Forand

Posted on 03/20/2015

Photo taken on March 19, 2015

See also...

Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

533 visits

Port Lorne Lighthouse, ca. 1920

Port Lorne Lighthouse, ca. 1920
This small community, located between Hampton and Port George on the Bay of Fundy, was originally known as Marshall's Cove, then Port Williams, and then finally renamed Port Lorne in 1879.

The light was established in 1859 under the name "Marshall Cove or Port Williams," then "Port Williams or Marshall Cove." Despite the village's name change in 1879, it continued to be listed under the combined obsolete names until the first decade of the 20th century.

The light consisted initially of two fixed white lights, 22 feet apart vertically. The upper light was shown from a metal lantern on top of the keeper's dwelling, seen on the right in the postcard above, while the lower light was shown from the bow window, according to the lists of Lights of the Department of Marine and Fisheries from 1870 to the early 20th century. Interestingly, that house survives today, although its role as a lighthouse may have been forgotten.

The lighthouse tower was built sometime between 1910 and 1915, with only one light being shown from the lantern on the tower.