Michel Forand

Michel Forand

Posted on 03/20/2015


Photo taken on March 20, 2015


See also...


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

486 visits

CANADA: Nova Scotia -- Bay of Fundy

Kingsport Lighthouse, ca. 1900

Kingsport Lighthouse, ca. 1900 

Kingsport, located on the north side of the Canning River (known today as the Habitant River), in Minas Basin, had an active shipbuilding industry in the 19th century. It later became an important shipping point, with the Oak Point Wharf eventually reaching a length of over 120 m.

The Kingsport Light was established in 1878 on the wharf. The first structure, 26 feet tall, was a brown open-frame tower with a white, enclosed upper portion. The fully enclosed lighthouse seen here, built in 1891, was 23 feet tall. A local history website states that the lighthouse was destroyed by fire in 1947. It was not rebuilt.

Comments