Michel Forand

Michel Forand

Posted on 03/20/2015

Photo taken on March 19, 2015

See also...

Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

Photo replaced on March 21, 2015
239 visits

CANADA: Nova Scotia -- Bay of Fundy

Meteghan Lighthouse, ca. 1960

Meteghan Lighthouse, ca. 1960 

Meteghan is a small fishing and shipbuilding community on the east side of St. Mary's Bay.

The first light beacon in the area was built at Meteghan River in 1875, about 2 km north of the village of Meteghan. It was described in 1878 as a "beacon for guiding vessels into river" with "vertical red stripes on seaward side, lantern painted black... at extreme end of breakwater," 21 feet tall.

A 1947 newspaper account indicates that "heavy gale force winds wrenched the Meteghan River lighthouse from its position at the end of the wharf and it was carried a half- mile up the Bay before coming to rest on a beach."

The lighthouse was replaced by a pole for a number of years, but in 1968 (?) a new lighthouse, described in 1980 as "aluminum tower; white enclosed lower portion," 6.4m tall, was built on the breakwater. Assuming that "upper" instead of "lower" was intended here, that 1968 lighthouse is likely the lighthouse seen on the postcard above.

The lighthouse no longer stands on the breakwater, and its fate is unknown.

There was a similar lighthouse at Meteghan Village, about 2 km south of Meteghan River, but virtually nothing is known about it.