Michel Forand

Michel Forand

Posted on 03/20/2015


Photo taken on March 19, 2015


See also...


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

Photo replaced on March 21, 2015
161 visits

CANADA: Nova Scotia -- Bay of Fundy

Meteghan Lighthouse, ca. 1960

Meteghan Lighthouse, ca. 1960 

Meteghan is a small fishing and shipbuilding community on the east side of St. Mary's Bay.

The first light structure in the area was built at Meteghan River in 1875, about 2 km north of the village of Meteghan, and also a shipbuilding community. It was described in 1878 as a "beacon for guiding vessels into river" with "vertical red stripes on seaward side, lantern painted black... at extreme end of breakwater," 21 feet tall.

A 1947 newspaper account indicates that "heavy gale force winds wrenched the Meteghan River lighthouse from its position at the end of the wharf and it was carried a half- mile up the Bay before coming to rest on a beach."

The Meteghan River Lighthouse was replaced by a pole light for a number of years, but according to the Canadian Coast Guard's List of Lights for 1980, in 1968 a new structure, described as "aluminum tower; white enclosed lower portion," 6.4m tall, was built on the breakwater. This tower has also disappeared and there is a simple tripod carrying the light today.

A second lighthouse was established in 1925 at Meteghan (also known as Meteghan Harbour or Meteghan Village), about 2 km south of Meteghan River. Both lighthouses were very similar in appearance. It is believed this is the lighthouse shown on the postcard above. That lighthouse has also been replaced by a simply post light in recent years.

Comments