Michel Forand

Michel Forand

Posted on 03/20/2015


Photo taken on March 19, 2015


See also...


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

272 visits

Point Prim Fog Horn Building, ca. 1900

Point Prim Fog Horn Building, ca. 1900
This was the first fog signal building, built in 1871. The Department of Marine's 1915 list of lights provides the following description: "White, square, wood.... Near edge of cliff, 225 feet north-eastwardly from lighthouse tower." The apparatus was a diaphone, emitting a 4-second blast followed by a 26-second silence, the sound being produced by "air compressed by oil engine."

The postcard, mailed in 1909, shows another example of a publisher (in this case, Valentine & Sons) altering the colour of buildings. Here, the fog-signal building is brown instead of the white colour listed by the government.

Comments