Michel Forand

Michel Forand

Posted on 03/19/2015


Photo taken on March 19, 2015


See also...


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

253 visits

Cape d'Or Lighthouse, ca. 1950

Cape d'Or Lighthouse, ca. 1950
Cap d'Or (Cape of Gold) is the name given by Samuel de Champlain in 1607 to a promontory that advances boldly towards the area where the Minas Channel leads into the Bay of Fundy. The name has survived as Cape d'Or, a combination of French and English.

Initially -- that is, in 1874 -- the station consisted of a fog alarm, which was located in the building with the tall chimney seen next to the lighthouse on this postcard. The first lighthouse was a small "pepper-pot" type moved here from Eatonville in 1922 and mounted on a trestle. The new lighthouse was about 30 feet tall and the light was 62 feet above high water (Admiralty List of Lights, 1940).

The 1922 lighthouse was replaced by a more substantial building in 1965, but the two keepers' dwellings seen on the postcard (one in full view and the other recognizable only by its roof at bottom left) were retained and converted into tourist facilities.

Comments