Michel Forand's photos


  • Black Rock Lighthouse, ca. 1905

    The original Black Rock Lighthouse was established in 1848, northeast of Harbourville on the south side of the Minas Channel. This ca. 1905 photo (on a postcard mailed that year) shows an unusual polygonal lantern room.

  • Great Britain: Mucking Flats Lighthouse

    Built in 1851 on a foundation of seven piles, on the north side of the Thames estuary near Stanford-le-Hope. A temporary light had been erected here in 1849. As seen on this postcard, the lighthouse was linked to the shore by an elevated walkway, which a…

  • Pointe-aux-Orignaux, Quai de Rivière-Ouelle

    Le premier phare de la Pointe-aux-Orignaux a été construit en 1875. On en sait peu de choses, sauf qu'il s'agissait d'une tour carrée de forme pyramidale. Le second phare, qu'on voit sur cet extrait d'une carte-photo, lui a succédé en 1904, après l'inaug…


  • Cape Tryon Lighthouse, 1940s

    The interest of this image lies in the fact that it shows the first Cape Tryon Lighthouse in its original location above the cliff, when it was still an active navigational aid.

  • West Point Wharf Range Rear Light, ca. 1930

    The West Point Wharf Range was established in 1912. It was described in 1915 (and in following years at least as late as 1957) as a white mast with a white shed at the base. The shed is missing in this photo but it's possible it was being rebuilt.

  • Summerside Range Front Light, 1927

    The Summerside Range was established in 1895, but a new lighthouse was built in 1913 to replace the 1895 front tower. This private photo taken in 1927 shows a fading image of the 1913 front light. After decommissioning, the tower was moved to a private p…


  • Summerside Range Front Light, ca. 1910

    The Summerside Range was established in 1895, but there had been a light in the port area since 1854. That first light was described in 1861 as "A lantern, on Green's Wharf."* The postcard (written in 1915?) shows the 1895 lighthouse as well as the wago…

  • Victoria Beach Lighthouse, ca. 1905

    The Victoria Beach Lighthouse was established in 1901 on the eastern side of Digby Gut.

  • Victoria Beach Lighthouse, ca. 1905

    The Victoria Beach Lighthouse was established in 1901 on the eastern side of Digby Gut, the narrow channel between Annapolis Bay and the Bay of Fundy. According to the 1902 List of Lights published by the Department of Marine and Fisheries, the light was…


  • Sissiboo Lighthouse, ca. 1978

    The first Sissiboo Lighthouse, established in 1870 on the south side of the entrance to the Sissiboo River, near Weymouth, south of Digby, was destroyed by a storm in 1976. It was replaced by the tower seen here. That tower was removed in 2004.

  • Victoria Beach Lighthouse, ca. 1960

    The little lighthouse, overlooking the Victoria Beach harbour, was established in 1901 on the eastern side of Digby Gut.

  • Sissiboo Lighthouse, ca. 1930

    The Sissiboo Lighthouse, established in 1870, was on the south side of the entrance to the Sissiboo River, near Weymouth, south of Digby. The lighthouse was 33 feet tall from base to vane, according to the 1902 List of Lights of the Department of Marine a…


  • Victoria Beach Lighthouse, ca. 1950

    The Victoria Beach Lighthouse was established in 1901 on the eastern side of Digby Gut.

  • Troop Point Lighthouse, ca. 1910

    The Troop Point Lighthouse, established in 1906, was 32 feet tall from base to vane, and its light shone from a height of 46 feet above high water. The lighthouse was still listed in 1957 but had disappeared from the record by 1980. This was the eastern…

  • Schafner Point Lighthouse, ca. 1955

    In the 19th and early 20th centuries, there were several lighthouses in the navigable waterway consisting of the lower Annapolis River and the Annapolis Basin: from Troop Point, near Granville Ferry, to Annapolis Royal, Shafner Point (as it was spelled at…


  • Spencer's Island Lighthouse, ca. 1909

    The Spencer's Island Lighthouse, established in 1904, is not on the island of that name but on the north shore of Minas Channel. The island is about 2 km southeast of the lighthouse. Postcard written in 1909. The "stains" on the left appear to be emulsio…

  • Wolfville Lighthouse, ca. 1905

    Wolfville, located on the Cornwallis River in the southwest corner of Minas Basin, once had a busy harbour, with ferries carrying passengers and vehicles to and from Parrsboro and Kingsport. The lighthouse was built on the government wharf on the west sid…

  • Salter Head Light, 1907

    Salter Head is a headland west of the Shubenacadie River on the south side of Cobequid Bay, about 12 km west of Truro. This privately produced postcard shows "cousin Caleb Smith," posing in front of the Salter Head Light, established in 1888. The postcar…


76 items in total