Lat, Lng:  
You can copy the above to your favourite mapping app.
Address:  unknown

 View on map

See also...


Herod´s Banquet
Kloster Reichenau
Kloster St. Gallen
St. Gallen monastery
Reichenau Abbey
Bad Krozingen
Beheading of St. John

Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

Bad Krozingen - Glöcklehofkapelle

Bad Krozingen - Glöcklehofkapelle
Krozingen was first mentioned as "Scrozzinga" in 808 in the documents of the Abbey of Saint Gall. A settlement at the former junction of two Roman roads. Up to 1805 Krozingen belonged to "Further Austria", possessions of the House of Habsburg. While the surrounding area changed to Protestantism during the Reformation, Krozingen stayed Catholic.

On the search for crude oil, the geologists came across thermal water instead, which was started the future of Krozingen as a health resort. Krozingen was awarded the title “Bad” in 1933 - and now is Bad Krozingen.

The Romanesque Glöcklehofkapelle is the oldest preserved building of the town. It was built around 1000 by the Abbey of Saint Gall. It was rediscovered around 1936 by Pastor A. Pfeffer from Rottenburg, a spa guest. Later excavations showed that it was part of a medieval court complex.

The frescoes show strong parallels to the illuminated manuscripts, produced by monks in the famous scriptorium of the Abbey of Reichenau at the same time. Seen here is the beheading of John the Baptist after "Herod`s Banquet".

Matthew 14:6–11

"But on Herod's birthday, the daughter of Herodias danced before them: and pleased Herod. Whereupon he promised with an oath, to give her whatsoever she would ask of him. But she being instructed before by her mother, said: Give me here in a dish the head of John the Baptist. And the king was struck sad: yet because of his oath, and for them that sat with him at table, he commanded it to be given. And he sent, and beheaded John in the prison. And his head was brought in a dish: and it was given to the damsel, and she brought it to her mother."


to write a comment.