4 favorites     1 comment    169 visits


Lat, Lng:  
You can copy the above to your favourite mapping app.
Address:  unknown

 View on map

See also...


self portrait
Città alta
Santa Maria Maggiore
Giovanni da Campione Porta dei Leoni bianchi

Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

169 visits

Bergamo - Santa Maria Maggiore

Bergamo - Santa Maria Maggiore
Bergamo was the settlement of a Celtic tribe but got conquered by the Romans in 196 BC. Looted by Attila´s troops in the 5th century, it became the capital of a Lombardian duchy a century later. After the conquest of the Lombard Kingdom by Charlemagne, the Franks ruled here.

End of the 11th century Bergamo had become an independent commune, with a lot of feuding between the local the Guelph and Ghibelline factions.

In 1428 Bergamo was ceded in 1428 by the Duchy of Milan to the Republic of Venice and was transformed into a fortified city, protecting the trade routes leading into the Rhine Valley.

The French Revolutionary Army ended more than three centuries of Venetian rule in 1797. Bergamo was part of the "Cisalpine Republic".
At Congress of Vienna, Bergamo was assigned to the (Austrian) Kingdom of Lombardy–Venetia. Giuseppe Garibaldi conquered Bergamo in 1859. The city was incorporated into the newly founded Kingdom of Italy.

Bergamo´s two centres are the Città alta ("upper city"), a hilltop medieval town, and the Città bassa ("lower city").

Next to the Duomo di Bergamo, opening to the Piazza Duomo, is the "Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore".

The basilica, here seen is a detail of the frieze, that runs around the semicircular apse (see previous upload), was founded in 1137 on the site of an older church and the altar was consecrated in 1185, but during the 13th and 15th century the works slowed down and the Romanesque church never got completed.

The southern portal was just like the northern, more elaborated one created by by Giovanni da Campione ~1360. It is often called "Porta dei Leoni bianchi", while the northern is "Porta dei Leoni rossi".

The frieze may well depict portrait of Giovanni da Campione and his workshop. The Master is seated on the left, designing/sketching another piece, while to the right three stonemasons are working.

aNNa schramm, casino, Sonia Roosen, Nicole Merdrignac have particularly liked this photo

 Nicole Merdrignac
Nicole Merdrignac club
Photo très intéressante. Nicole.
6 years ago.

to write a comment.