Location

Lat, Lng:  
You can copy the above to your favourite mapping app.
Address:  unknown

 View on map

See also...

Churches of the World Churches of the World


Fotos über Kirchen Fotos über Kirchen


Churches Churches


Italy - Italia Italy - Italia


See more...

Keywords

Italy
Bergamo Cathedral
Duomo di Bergamo
Città alta
Torre Civica
Cappella Colleoni
Santa Maria Maggiore
Palazzo della Ragione
Lombardy
Bergamo
Bartolomeo Colleoni


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

96 visits

Bergamo - Cappella Colleoni

Bergamo - Cappella Colleoni
Bergamo was the settlement of a Celtic tribe but got conquered by the Romans in 196 BC. Looted by Attila´s troops in the 5th century, it became the capital of a Lombardian duchy a century later. After the conquest of the Lombard Kingdom by Charlemagne, the Franks ruled here.

End of the 11th century Bergamo had become an independent commune, with a lot of feuding between the local the Guelph and Ghibelline factions.

In 1428 Bergamo was ceded in 1428 by the Duchy of Milan to the Republic of Venice and was transformed into a fortified city, protecting the trade routes leading into the Rhine Valley.

The French Revolutionary Army ended more than three centuries of Venetian rule in 1797. Bergamo was part of the "Cisalpine Republic".
At Congress of Vienna, Bergamo was assigned to the (Austrian) Kingdom of Lombardy–Venetia. Giuseppe Garibaldi conquered Bergamo in 1859. The city was incorporated into the newly founded Kingdom of Italy.

Bergamo has two centres: Città alta ("upper city"), a hilltop medieval town, and the Città bassa ("lower city").

Standig on top of the Torre Civica in the Città alta. The tower was erected in the 11th/12th century as a tower house for the (Ghibelline) Suardi family.

Seen to the left is a part of the Palazzo della Ragione´s stepped gable and a part of the Duomo´s facade. Further right is the Romanesque basilica Santa Maria Maggiore and the Cappella Colleoni, erected between 1472 and 1476 as a mausoleum for Bartolomeo Colleoni and his daughter Medea. Only partly seen is the roof of the small, octagonal baptistery.

Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.