Location


See also...

Churches of the World Churches of the World



Keywords

round
Karner
Tiffen
Oesterreich
fortified church
Carinthia
Kärnten
Austria
ossuary
Turkish incursions


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

127 visits

Tiffen - St. Jakobus

Tiffen - St. Jakobus
A church, overlooking the valley, existed on the promontory since about 1050. The church seen here was erected, where once a Roman temple had been, within the 12 century, but later got strong Gothic and Baroque enlargements and alterations.

The church and the surrounding area got fortified in the 15th century, during the times of the Turkish and Magyar incursions. It is still surounded by walls and protected by a Karner (ossuary) that served as a defense tower.

Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.