Location


See also...


Keywords

Austria
Villacher Schule
Grivinne
Deutsch-Griffen
Hemma of Gurk
Turkish incursions
Ottoman Wars
frescoe
Oesterreich
fortified church
Carinthia
Kärnten
Thomas von Villach


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

128 visits

Deutsch-Griffen - St. Jakobus

Deutsch-Griffen - St. Jakobus
Hemma of Gurk donated a chapel in "Grivinne" in 1043. The chapel belonged to the chapter of the Gurk cathedral in 1157 and around 1218 was the parish church Deutsch-Griffen.

The Romanesque structure was rebuilt as a fortified church in the 15th century, when it served as a refuge for the villagers during the Turkish incursions. Since then it is surounded by a wall. The Karner (ossuary) erected in the 14th century was used as a defense tower duirng that time.

Inside the church are some extraordinary frescoes, that were "re-discovered" under plaster in 1928. Most of them were created by a studio named "Villacher Schule", that existed from around 1440.

Some in a bad state conditions.

A conservationist was working inside the freezing cold church and allowed us to enter.

aNNa schramm has particularly liked this photo


Comments
 aNNa schramm
aNNa schramm club
Ich freue mich immer sehr über deine sehr interessanten Bilder und Ausführungen.
ein großes Lob :-)
ciao aNNa*
2 years ago.

Sign-in to write a comment.