Location


See also...

Church Interiors Church Interiors



Keywords

nave
Deutsch-Griffen
Hemma of Gurk
Ottoman Wars
frescoe
Oesterreich
fortified church
Carinthia
Kärnten
Austria
Grivinne
Turkish incursions


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

133 visits

Deutsch-Griffen - St. Jakobus

Deutsch-Griffen - St. Jakobus
Hemma of Gurk donated a chapel in "Grivinne" in 1043. The chapel belonged to the chapter of the Gurk cathedral in 1157 and around 1218 was the parish church Deutsch-Griffen.

The Romanesque structure was rebuilt as a fortified church in the 15th century, when it served as a refuge for the villagers during the Turkish incursions. Since then it is surounded by a wall. The Karner (ossuary) erected in the 14th century was used as a defense tower duirng that time.

Inside the church are some extraordinary frescoes, some in a bad state conditions. A conservationist was working inside and allowed us to enter.

Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.