Location


See also...

Medieval Europe Medieval Europe


Churches Churches



Keywords

round
Grivinne
Deutsch-Griffen
Hemma of Gurk
Ottoman Wars
Karner
Oesterreich
fortified church
Carinthia
Kärnten
Austria
ossuary
roofed stair
Turkish incursions


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

162 visits

Deutsch-Griffen - St. Jakobus

Deutsch-Griffen - St. Jakobus
Hemma of Gurk donated a chapel in "Grivinne" in 1043. The chapel belonged to the chapter of the Gurk cathedral in 1157 and around 1218 was the parish church Deutsch-Griffen.

The Romanesque structure was rebuilt as a fortified church in the 15th century, when it served as a refuge for the villagers during the Turkish incursions. Since then it is surounded by a strong wall. The Karner (ossuary) erected in the 14th century was used as a defense tower duirng that time.

Since 1755 church and churchyard are "connected" with the village in the vallye by a roofed stair with 178 steps.

aNNa schramm has particularly liked this photo


Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.