Location


See also...

Church Interiors Church Interiors



Keywords

choir
dispciples
Zweinitz
mandorla
Kaernten
frescoe
Oesterreich
Carinthia
Austria
apse
hainricus


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

93 visits

Zweinitz - St. Ägidius

Zweinitz - St. Ägidius
The church, dedicated to St. Ägidius (= "Saint Gilles") was mentioned the first time in 1169, though a legend tells, that it was founded by Saint Hemma of Gurk.

Rebuilt after a fire in 1354 it has been dependent from the Canons of Gurk upto 1781. It is located in the center of the village´s graveyard.

The interior walls got decorated with frescoes within the 14th century by different masters. Seen here is the choir. Christ in a mandorla, surrounded by angels. Below are the 12 disciples.

This fresco is signed, it was created in 1390 by Master "Hainricus".

Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.