Location


See also...

Church Interiors Church Interiors



Keywords

nave
Austria
Carinthia
Oesterreich
frescoe
Kaernten
Zweinitz


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

89 visits

Zweinitz - St. Ägidius

Zweinitz - St. Ägidius
The church, dedicated to St. Ägidius (= "Saint Gilles") was mentioned the first time in 1169, though a legend tells, that it was founded by Saint Hemma of Gurk.

Rebuilt after a fire in 1354 it has been dependent from the Canons of Gurk upto 1781. It is located in the center of the village´s graveyard.

Looking down the nave to the choir - from the gallery. The interior walls got decorated with frescoes within the 14th century by different masters.

Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.