Location


See also...

Stone Faces Stone Faces


ARTE ROMANICO ARTE ROMANICO



Keywords

capital
portal
braids
Austria
Carinthia
Oesterreich
Kaernten
Zweinitz


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

129 visits

Zweinitz - St. Ägidius

Zweinitz - St. Ägidius
The church, dedicated to St. Ägidius (= "Saint Gilles") was mentioned the first time in 1169, though a legend tells, that it was founded by Saint Hemma of Gurk.

Rebuilt after a fire in 1354 it has been dependent from the Canons of Gurk upto 1781. It is located in the center of the village´s graveyard.

The portal, protected by a narthex, has a tympanum, depicting the "Veil of Veronica", a frescoe dated 1420/30. The capitals on the sides, that flank the door, are Romanesque.

A bearded man and a woman wearing long braids. They hvae a very serious look.

aNNa schramm has particularly liked this photo


Comments

Sign-in to write a comment.