See also...


Keywords

Switzerland
Norbertines
ring crypt
Saint Norbert
Luzius of Chur
St. Luzius
Schams
Norbert of Xanten
Premonstratensians
Carolingian
Graubuenden
Grisons
Crypt
Schweiz
Chur
confessio


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

43 visits

Chur - St. Luzius

Chur - St. Luzius
St. Lucius is today part of a theological seminary, overlooking Chur. but is not. A church is known here already since about 400, but probably after 730 a Carolingian church with three apses was built, as a burial place for the local nobility. It was dedicated to Luzius of Chur a legendary saint, who may have been a former King of Brittany or an early Bishop of Chur.

This church was handed over in 1140 to the Premonstratensians (aka "Norbertines"), founded in Prémontré near Laon in 1120 by Saint Norbert (aka Norbert of Xanten). The Premonstratensians rebuilt and enlarged the existing the church in Romanesque style. Around 1500 the church got a new (meanwhile replaced) Gothic vaulting.

Entering the semicircular "ring crypt", dated to the 8th century. In the center is a "confessio", where the relics of Saint Luzius were kept -until 923, when they were stolen. Since 1108 they are stored safely in the near Cathedral of Chur.

Comments