See also...


Keywords

Switzerland
risen choir
Saint Norbert
Premonstratensians Norbertines
Luzius of Chur
St. Luzius
Schams
hall crypt
Norbert of Xanten
Carolingian
Graubuenden
Grisons
Crypt
Schweiz
Chur
ring crypt


Authorizations, license

Visible by: Everyone
All rights reserved

42 visits

Chur - St. Luzius

Chur - St. Luzius
St. Lucius is today part of a theological seminary, overlooking Chur. but is not. A church is known here already since about 400, but probably after 730 a Carolingian church with three apses was built, as a burial place for the local nobility. It was dedicated to Luzius of Chur a legendary saint, who may have been a former King of Brittany or an early Bishop of Chur.

This church was handed over in 1140 to the Premonstratensians (aka "Norbertines"), founded in Prémontré near Laon in 1120 by Saint Norbert (aka Norbert of Xanten). The Premonstratensians rebuilt and enlarged the existing the church in Romanesque style. Around 1500 the church got a new (meanwhile replaced) Gothic vaulting.

Upstairs the three nave risen choir downstairs the crypt. The doors, seen in the "hall-crypt" (left and right) lead into a semicircular "ring crypt". This crypt was part of the Carolingian church.

Comments